Sunday, July 18, 2010

Welcome to green belle!

Welcome to green belle. I suppose it's fitting that I begin this blog by discussing what initially brought me here, my community garden plot. I've been a proud co-owner of a lovely 10' x 12' community garden plot for just over a month now. The process of achieving the plot began several months back when during a phone conversation with my mom in which I was relaying to her the latest vegetarian meal I had cooked myself for dinner, she proceeded to ask me why I don't get a gardening plot and start growing my own veggies if I loved them so much, and so I asked myself, well why don't I?

After doing some research and reaching out to atleast 10 plot coordinators near my neighborhood of Back Bay, I quickly realized that these plots were a pretty hot commodity in Boston and one that people did not give up so easily. Somewhat discouraged, I proceeded to fill out applications and get myself on the waiting lists for several different gardens, thinking to myself that maybe I'd hear back within the next couple years and that hopefully I'd still be living in the city at that point..but then, memorial day weekend, while enjoying a peaceful vacation in Austin, TX visiting a friend, I received the call from now fellow plot owner Matt that a plot had become available in the garden and it was mine if I wanted it, but I had to meet him that day to go over the specifics. Ecstatic over the prospect of having a garden, a venture I thought had turned out to be a long shot, could now become a reality, I quickly called up my roommate to see if she would be interested on going in on it with me. I obviously would not have been able to meet Matt that day and I didn't want to risk losing the opportunity. Hailey agreed and met up with Matt to get the dirt. A mere $25 later and we had ourselves a key to the watering hose and a plot, completely full of weeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment